Tuesday, December 11, 2012

What type of birth control is right for me?

There is no ‘best choice’ of birth control that works for everyone. You have to decide what will work best for you. Look at the options and decide on a method that feels right for you.

There are many things to consider when choosing a form of birth control. Some people need to consider such things as effectiveness, side effects, ease of use, accessibility, cost, possible allergies or other medical conditions, and comfort levels around inserting certain methods vaginally or taking hormones.

Choosing a birth control method that works for you may require some planning. It should be something that you feel comfortable with. As you move into different stages in your life your birth control needs may change. Remember, you can always switch methods if your circumstances change or if you are having concerns.

Some possible questions both men and women may want to consider when choosing a method that’s right for them are:
  • How effective is this method?
  • Can I use this method, or do I have to rely on a partner to use it effectively?
  • Does this method protect against Sexually Transmitted Infections?
  • How is this method used? Does it fit my needs and lifestyle?
  • Does this method have any side effects? If yes, what are they?
  • What is the cost of this method?
  • How available is this method and where can I find it?
  • How will this method affect my ability to have or cause a pregnancy in the future?
  • Do I have an allergy or medical condition that will affect my ability to use this method?
  • How do I feel about applying this method to my body?
  • How do I feel about taking hormones or my partner having to take hormones?

You may want to speak to a health professional about your options or to discuss your concerns or questions.

If you would like more information about the different forms of birth control that are available please check out the birth control section of our website or call or email to speak to one of our counsellors.

403-283-5580
generalmail@calgarysexualhealth.ca